Monday, July 6, 2009

Lights! Thunder! Action!

I was knocked nearly out of bead this morning by a clattering banging noise over head. My room is below the kitchen and so I assumed that it must be my aunt up at some ungodly hour of the night dropping all the pots and pans. But then it didn't stop. Perhaps it's a drunk burglar rummaging through all the cookery and kicking the furniture down in his stupor, i thought, almost conscious. But there was no pause. My next slumber-plagued assessment of the banging, earth rumbling, tooth-jarring noise was that Russia had finally snapped and we were being invaded. I was prepared to wake my brother and head to the basement. And no, it did not occur to me that we were already in the basement. Only when the offending wake up call still persisted and I was fully committed to not sleeping did I recall the T-storm warning on the forecast the day before.
Leave me alone, I cant help what my sub-conscious is worried about.
It was a very impressive storm and luckily the rain came along with it, otherwise today would have been spent fighting forest fires instead of bagging groceries. A bolt of lightning hit the power grid at some point and our inverter was off and the Bee Man's house got struck as well, but he's alright. I haven't heard any news on the bees, but I hope they are all well and accounted for 'cause they make some mighty fine honey. Another house was struck but no one was in it, the battery is just fried.
After sleeping through the rest of the storm, I woke up and went to work to talk about the storm the rest of the day. Usually the only electricity we get out here is from the gas powered generator or solar panels, so it was pretty exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment