Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Bottomless Sea

"Flirtation With Satan" was the name of the ship
Upon which I'd set my sights
"Great boat for travel" read the gold flyer
And soon I'd sold the salesman my rights
to sail that ship across the bottomless sea

Well, "Flirtation With Satan" seemed to spring a leak
Just as the vessel caught fire
It sank to the bottom of the bottomless sea
An' I held on longer than I desired
and went down into the depths of the bottomless sea

Now I suppose I'd be drowned today if it weren't for that man
Who plunged to the bottom of the bottomless sea
He looked like he'd been through hell
And heck, I s'pose he had, just to get a sturdy grip on me
and pull me up from the bottomless sea

Hey, I'm a stout swimmer and I know I tried to help
But swimmin' down instead of up didn't work out too well
And if he weren't there dragging me toward the light
The dice roll holds that I'd be there and not alive to tell
about the bottom of the bottomless sea

1 comment: